Peacock - loose watercolor


"Peacock" is my second loose-watercolor birdpainting.
I totally enjoy the process of these paintings. No media like watercolor can be so unpredictable, and yet exciting to work with. It is really a balance of control and letting go.
I love most of the textures watercolors creates. Sometimes these textures are mistakes in paintings, but I force/wish many of them to happen, for an exciting surface. Afterall this is a mix of realism and abstraction :)

I took the ref-photo at a zoo years ago. Everybody find the peacock a beautiful bird (I guess :)). Even the large tail is what you usually think of first with peacocks, I found this posture strong enough to use as composition.


As I cannot scan a canvas, the file is a digi-photo, and even I have a good camera, the file does not provide the same justice to the real painting.

The painting are sprayed with fixfixative and varnish, to be lasting without being behind glass!


50x50 cm on watercolor canvas.

2 comments:

  1. nicely done :D
    i could never understand why people ignore the rest of this bird and focus so much on the tail, the rest is just as gorgeous

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name in comments, thanks